Welcome

Welcome...to Along the Way, a running pictorial journal of significant and special moments in my life to share with others.

Sunday 3 March 2013

Australia Day Festivities


Well Hello there Twenty Thirteen!

After old and new years celebrations were over January - known as "The Birthday Month" in my immediate family because my Mother's, mine and a dear friends' are - whose special day falls on the 26th - Australia Day!

I was reading the Clarence City council News and came across the - 'What's on in Clarence' and was ecstatic to discover 2 activities of interest. The first being Saturday 26 January - Australia Day Breakfast On The Bellerive Boardwalk including one of the many Australian Citizenship ceremonies (link) around the country and community awards, and the second Vote for your favourite Aussie song and hear it live!



 
Paul queing for our coffee
We arrived at 9.30 approximately and my husband Paul gladly joined the others for their morning caffeine fix...meanwhile I located the Big Breakfast stall to grab ours that included the freshest bread roll which was naughty as I am gluten intolerant...ssh don't tell.


We were then entertained with the song nominations - the top 5 included the ones I nominated online...YAY! That really made my day! I had in years gone by worked in the retail music industry (it was nice to know I hadn't lost my touch), during which we had worked up an appetite vigorously singing along with our song choices and decided to share a decadent Nutella crepe during the Australian Citizenship proceeding...mmm so good.

The musical proceedings were hosted by MC Brian Ritchie of the Violent Femmes whose songs such as Blister in the Sun (link) featured on various albums over the decades and sold like hotcakes when I sold music for the music chain Brashs in the 90's and probably still do! I wanted to thank him for livening up that part of ceremony and whilst doing so shared with he and his wife Verinda that I was the daughter of an immigrant accepted the offer to come to Australia on a work exchange program to address a skills shortage at the time as he is a Coppersmith.
 
After the proceedings were over we decided to drive to a beach we had never visited and walk off our little food fest' on Cremorne Beach and having lived and been overseas agreed that no matter how far we roam...
 
 
 We still gladly call Australia home! We are so Blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment